Woe for retailers as half of shoppers could stay at home

“Consumer spending has dropped off a cliff in the last three months and with continued uncertainty around the economy and job security, it’s maybe unsurprising that around 40pc of the public say that they’re going to spend less than they did before lockdown.”

The survey also offered worrying signals for pubs, restaurants and hairdressers due to open on July 4. More than half of respondents, 53pc, said they would be uncomfortable returning to restaurants, while 41pc are nervous about going to barbers or hairdressers compared with 38pc who are more comfortable returning.

Some 54pc balk at the prospect of returning to pubs and bars, with more than one in four “very uncomfortable” at the prospect. Women are more likely to stay away than men across all categories, YouGov added.

The British Retail Consortium said its members had been “working around the clock” to return to trading.

Kyle Monk, the organisation’s head of insight and analytics, said: “Evidence from other countries suggests that despite an initial bounce in spending in the weeks after restrictions are lifted, discretionary spend is likely to remain subdued as the coronavirus pandemic wears on. That’s why, with store closures costing an estimated £1.7bn a week in lost sales, ongoing Government support will be critical to the survival of many jobs and businesses.”

Source Article